To be accepted on Qantas operated services, bicycles must be suitably packed in a bike box.
Material: Flat packed cardboard.
Recommendation: Full external book contact + tape seams, corners, edges, and strap rub areas. Add additional padding for base rub areas.
Qantas bike pack dimensions are:
- Length: 140cm (55in)
- Width: 30cm (12in)
- Height: 80cm (32in)
Before bicycles can be accepted they must be packed as follows:
- Tyres must be deflated
- Pedals must be removed
- Handle bars must be fixed parallel to the frame
- If the bicycles length exceeds 140cm (55in), the front wheel should be removed and fixed beside the rear wheel, inside the bike box
Sporting equipment can be (is) included as part of your checked baggage allowance, subject to the sporting equipment requirements and codeshare exceptions.
Each item checked in is one piece.
Charges will apply for any baggage carried in addition to your checked baggage allowance.
You may purchase an additional baggage allowance in advance to save on airport excess baggage rates.
Domestic: No single piece can exceed 32kg (70lb).
If your bag is over this weight (up to 32kg) a heavy charge will apply at the airport.
- A$70 for the first extra piece
- A$90 for the second and subsequent extra pieces
- A$50 heavy charge for each piece weighing over 23kg.
- Jetstar: Over 1,000mm (1m) $25 oversized luggage fee = checked baggage is not included with Economy Starter fares
International Economy: 2 pieces up to 23kg (50lb) each.
Additional baggage allowance can be purchased in increments of 5kg, 10kg, 15kg, 25kg or 35kg up to 100kgs in total per flight. 35kg is the maximum baggage that can be purchased in a single transaction.
- A$20-80/kg for the first extra piece depending on location, or more $ per item